Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Talents

I find myself in a boat. A boat with many other people. It's called the "everyone has more talent than me" boat. The other night I was hanging my head in self pity at my lack of abilities, looking at others and seeing all the things they can do, that I can't. I'm not crafty. I don't know anything about photography. I don't have creative ideas to use with Brooklyn. I can't sew. I can't plan parties. I'm not a good writer, even though I love to write. I don't know anything about fashion. Sure, I can play the piano pretty well, I can sing, I am a massage therapist, a piano and voice teacher, a mother, wife, and student.. but that doesn't matter. It only matters what I can't do. When I told Craig how I felt, he laughed. I think he thought I was joking... but sadly enough I wasn't! I said all those things with a straight face, and the indignation of a 12-year-old who doesn't have a cel phone. After a long conversation with my sweet hubby (who was trying not to doze off while I soaked my pillow with tears - it was after midnight and he had to wake up at 4:50 am), I realized I was being ungrateful! After being forced to look at all the things I had, I was ashamed that I was upset for not being given more talents! Eek! Watch out for lightning.

The next day, I was talking to my sister Melanie (who is my twin - not literally, but pretty much we are exactly the same), and she brought up the point that the reason I don't have those "talents" is because I just haven't done them yet. I "can't" make crafty things to decorate my house because I just haven't tried! If I learned how - BAM! Talent. Once I pick out a project to learn on my sewing machine - BAM! Expert. The key is learning. I was lamenting my lack of natural abilities without realizing that most people have to work to learn a new talent. People don't come out the womb with a full set of knowledge about modpodge. I was being ridiculously silly for thinking this things would just come to me. I'm a big kid and I get to put some more wrinkles in my brain. Besides, who can stay depressed when they get to look at THIS face every day?!

I'm talking about the baby, not my dad. :) If Dad lived here, that would be different! I don't see his face every day.

Anyway, Brooklyn doesn't judge me. She doesn't compare herself to me. You can only compare yourself to "old you". When I think of the things I've learned to do as of late, I feel a little sheepish for being dramatic. As I'm learning how to swim (competitively. I can doggie paddle:) ), I can see how far I've come from the first time I stepped into a pool some months ago. I don't have to look at the 11-12 year old swim team that swims faster and better than me! I just picture the "old me" in the lane next to me, and I wave as I lap her. :)

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the only thing standing in the way of you and what you "wish" you could do.. is YOU. Don't hold yourself back. I can't sit on the couch and will the sewing gods to send me a revelation. I need to get up off my butt, pick a project, and learn from experience! Slow and steady wins the race! (When I say this phrase, I think of The Simpsons, when they're all go-karting. Marge says, "Slow and steady wins the race!" as all the kids and Homer zoom past her... hahahaha makes me laugh every time!") So here's my list of the next few project I am going to perfect and turn into my talents:
  • Making headbands/bows for Brooklyn
  • Make the cute "weight loss" jars I saw on Pinterest
  • Learn some photography!
  • Modpodged picture frames
  • Decor for holidays
  • Toys for Brooklyn
  • 1 sewing project
  • Photo frame with a personal quote
  • Big "DAVIS" sign for our wall
  • Update my blog more frequently - try my hand at writing :)

So there we go! I am about to become much more talented than the "now me". Ha ha! Ha. Luckily not many people read my blog, so I will experiment with the least amount of judgment! Next post will be an update on Brooklyn's birthday, my birthday, Christmas and New Years! Yep, I'm that far behind. So if anyone is reading this, choose a new talent to cultivate! Add it to your list of things you're good at!

As Fiyero would say, "It's just life, so keep dancing through!" Ah. That reminds me. I want to learn to dance!

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is AMEN! You are SUPER talented - I'm the one always wondering if I have even ONE talent. Of course I know what you said is exactly right - that was a great way to explain it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretty much love this post. How many times have I looked at other people and wished I was as talented as them at ________. Whatever. Thanks for the inspiration today!

    By the way, you realize that posting this via Facebook is probably going to bring a lot more readers to your blog. Like me. :) Feel free to check out my blog, too.

    ReplyDelete